Friday, November 14, 2014

What is the distinction between arts and mathematics?

       Like any student who wishes to graduate university, I must take courses that fulfill breadth requirements. Like any student who isn't masochistic, I chose to complete them by taking seminars. The last requirement I had to fill was a category 1, so I chose a seminar called "How Stories Work" that was from my own college. It seemed pretty innocuous at first, but that course made me realize that the boundary we put up between art and science is more blurred than we think. We all know there is a beauty to mathematics very similar to the beauty in different forms of art visual design and music. I do not claim to be an expert in art at all, but I have taken lessons. In art classes, students learn the basics and are asked to reproduce a figure as accurately as they can with a sketch. This seems to be what we are doing with proofs. We are given a basic proof structure, and through following the form closely, we see what makes each proof distinct from the next, and we can form an idea of what a good proof would look like just how you learn what a good drawing looks like in art class or how a good piece of music sounds. But this all starts with the basic structure that we are given.
       Another important connection between mathematics and the arts are in storytelling. In a story, we assume certain things about the world, the characters, and the events that happen later will follow through with these assumptions as far as they can. Does that sound familiar? This is exactly what we do when proving logical statements. The "plot" would be analogous to the arguments and calculations that we put into the middle of the proof, which does take us on a journey through a problem and leads us to a satisfying conclusion at the end.This is of course, not very surprising since the system of thought we as humans came up with is a generally universal thing so stories and proofs will share the same structure, and how we learn also follows that structure as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment